Sunday, January 25, 2009

Birthday


I’ve never been one to take birthdays too seriously, but as the clock ticks away toward my inevitable future, I figure I might as well take stock of my current situation in life.
Things are good, relatively speaking. I recently finished school, with freelance opportunities here and there. I interviewed with a local portrait studio last week that looks promising as well. Because I would like a lot more flexibility in terms of what I can do, it’ll probably be part time with the studio to begin with. I’m slowly working my way toward my own studio, though it’ll probably take longer than I think it will. I need to work up the business process of it all though, because I’ve never experienced that side of the photography business. The photographer I’d be working for has been in a business for awhile now plus he has an amazing eye and the ability to capture people beautifully. With his artistic mentoring and the ability to work closely with him I look forward to learning quiet a bit and hope to apply it to my future as a good, if not, great photographer.
Another huge aspect of my life tends to be my friends. My social life has always ruled my life, but it’s actually not that bad anymore. I think part of my problem was that I was somewhat left to my own as a kid, and because of that I’ve surrounded myself with tons of friends and acquaintances but I’m really a very self-possessed person. It’s not necessarily a bad thing but one that consumed my life whether I liked it or not. It also created a weird “growing up” stage later in life where I was trying to get the attention of friends, but at the same time wanting to be aloof and quiet, thinking that it wouldn’t work that way. After a few years in and out of social circles, I now realize that I could be both quiet *and* social, at the same time. It’s a nice thing to finally understand this after all these years. Spending time with friends that appreciate who I am, instead of what I can do for them, builds relationships I value more.
I think I’ve also entered one of the more trying years of my life. I need to work smarter, and harder. Long-term goals have to be integrated into short-term ones. This year, I need to stand out, and I’ve not yet reached that precipice, but I hope to get there ultimately. I want to be deep in career mode by the end of this year.
Of course, life is a lot more complicated than this, but right now, it’s not bad. I hope my 28th year ranks with the best, so here’s to another year!

No comments:

Post a Comment